bg

Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Molen De Adriaan, Haarlem, NL

Don't be that girl that accidentally touches the greased part of an active windmill...unless you're me. 😑
Yep! I had to be one of the people who has an in-depth experience! What a klutz. 

Anyway, every year that I've traveled to Amsterdam, I've tried to make each visit different by visiting somewhere I've never been before. For my third visit, I decided that I had to visit a windmill. I mean, what kind of person goes to the Netherlands three times, and doesn't see a windmill?

The tour guide was so nice and took time to explain how a windmill works, how much flour is made at once, and what cities in the Netherlands that the flour is sent to. This one specifically, is run strictly by volunteers. There was a fire here in 1932, and it took seventy years to rebuild, reopening in 2002.

This windmill is actually an active windmill, and the tour guide explained that though it is a little more pricey, there are still people who like fresh-ground flour.
Looking out towards Haarlem city center
Also, did you know there are still 991 windmills in the Netherlands?! That means you can see one anywhere you visit within the Netherlands! In some places in the world, you can even stay in one, which I'm sure is great, but that would be a lot of stairs to climb. Maybe I should add that to my bucket list, of things I need to do.

If you're ever close in Amsterdam, Haarlem is just a train ride away, and this place is one stop that you shouldn't miss, especially if you're looking for something that is authentic within the Dutch Culture!

est. 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment