bg

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

The "Cat"astrophe of Easton, Evelyn, and Eleanor

In the several weeks that I've been fostering cats, here are some of the things I learned, that no one told me.


     1: Liquid doxcycline is a godsend. It comes in powder form, but you shouldn't HAVE to crush it if you're new to fostering.

     2: Feral cats are different than "just regular" kittens. The last bunch of cats I had, had been accustomed to some sort of human contact. The ones I have now, ehhhh--2 out of 3 have not. I didn't know this going in and have had a very difficult time socializing the two girls I have. People keep telling me to give it up, that this isn't for me, that I should find something else, but if I do that, cats without homes have one less place to go. So, I'm not giving up.

     3: I wish someone told me that it might be easier to handle ferals if I have a large metal cage. This is also information that I just found. Maybe I won't time before these ones go back to PAWS (Friday, at the request of PAWS, if they're healthy), but I am definitely going to invest in one of those.

     I am not experienced with feral cats, so socializing them has been a challenge every day. At night, i go home to feed the cats, also giving myself time to unwind, and then spend at least an hour and a half throwing treats across the floor and playing with the kittens.  The funny part is, Easton always runs to the treat before the girls can get to it. I think we'll be doing 1 on 1 playtime tonight. I'm learning very quickly that this is all a complete learning process for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment